The Frederick Police Department wants all children to be safe this Halloween. By following a few simple safety tips, parents and guardians can make this Halloween a safe and fun time for their trick-or-treaters.
- Parents accompany children or groups of children around the neighborhood. If you are letting your child/ren go unaccompanied have them walk with friends in a group and carry a cell phone. Plan your route and share it with your family.
- Have your child/ren use glow sticks and reflective tape. Children should also carry flashlights.
- Only visit homes that have the porch light on.
- Do not allow children to eat or sample any candy while trick or treating. All candy should be checked by a parent/guardian.
- Carefully examine any toys or novelty items received by trick-or-treaters under three years of age. Do not allow young children to have any items that are small enough to present a choking hazard.
- Costumes should fit well and not drag on the ground to guard against trips and falls. Make sure children can see out of face masks or use face make-up instead of masks.
- Keep candles away from landings or doorsteps. Costumes are extremely flammable.
Also, do not leave burning candles unattended.